Sunday, February 06, 2005

And then there were three...

Dear All,

Sue Lynn (Msian housemate) and I had dessert with THREE Italian couples today, and from what I've gathered, all Italians are the same or it is just that birds of the same feather flock together (very clichéd I know, but its 2 am and I can't think of a better way of putting it).

Anyway, we both arrived at the Bariles after a very tiring shopping trip. Not that we got anything. Wanna know why? Because the shops here close at 7pm on a SATURDAY!! (Will be bitching bout that in the next post).

Anyway.. anyway.. anyway... the sight of THREE Italian couples gave me the goosebumps. I wanted to run up to my room and hide. Antonia made us sit to socialize and that was when everything Italian was revealed - and i don't mean it in a good way. haih...

So, we introduced ourselves saying that we are from Malaysia and all of a sudden one of the Italian lady shouted, "which part? kathmandu?" Then I politely replied that I was from KUALA LUMPUR!! Of course the lady tried to covered her idiotic mistake by saying she had too much to drink but come on, I'm not that bodoh not to know that she is kinda bodoh. Oh, guess what that lady has? An ITALIAN half!! He goes on saying that he knows Malaysia from a show.

I mumbled, "Entrapment"
He was still trying to think
I mumbled again, "Entrapment"
Claiming he was still thinking...
I mumbled a little louder, "Entrapment"

Wah! <--- (with the Cina slang). Then he got it. Remember THAT show with Sean Connery and Catherine Zeta and the Bukit Jaleeel station and what was that building that could be seen from the Selat Melaka called again? Oh yes, the twin towers.

After confirming with me that was the show and it was shot in KL, wifey started arguing that it was shot in Thailand and that KLCC is in Thailand. This argument took place between two Italians who were sitting right in front of two Malaysians. Remember that the wife thought I was from Kathmandu. They continued arguing until the girl who treats KLCC as a second home stopped them and insisted that that building is located 10 mins from her home and, oh, she lives in Malaysia. Then they do what I think most Italians do, start speaking to themselve in their language.

All of a sudden, Islam came into the picture. I had to tell them what I could remember of the Malaysian history. They couldn't understand that I was in a Muslim country and not practicing Islam (or any other religion for that matter. nothing i'm proud of). At that moment, I felt like the ambassador for Malaysia telling them Italians that not everyone is FORCED to be a Muslim if they don't want to in Malaysia and that KL rocks. Yay! Malaysia Boleh!

Then they asked about my future plans and it only meant one thing. They wanted to know if i'm planning on getting a PR here... in bloody Vancouver. *&(^%&*$% ( I would curse like Su-Yin but that would be plagiarism and if i curse, it wouldn't be as powderful as her). So, I told them about how good KL is and that the pace of life is more suitable for me and I have a car and I was more independent, etc etc... Then Antonia had something smart to say, "Gay Lee, maybe you haven't been here long enough". It's been six bloody long months and I couldn't jolly well say that if I was living on my own, I would probably like it better and not want to go home so much. So I did what I always do, give her my damn smile.

All these and more happened during the 2 hours sitting with these six people. Not included are the following disgusting things :

1. One of the husband tried to perform a strip tease and somehow thought that Sue Lynn and I would enjoy it because one Jap girl found it entertaining two years ago. (He is no Italian hunk but more like a hairy, disgusting, cocky guy who has a beer belly). His wife told him to behave himself.

2. I found out that Italian women are GANAS. Antonia was telling a joke, and she slapped Mike on the arm and he nearly fell of his chair and had to hold on to the dining table for balance.

3. Since there are 3 boys and 4 girls in this homestay, the 'tak sedar diri' stripper, made a schedule for the boys to visit the girl's room. He didn't include me in the 'list'. It's either because he couldn't pronounce my name or that I looked a little pissed.

4. All three couples suddenly had trouble getting their sons a partner. Started pairing us with their bloody sons. I suddenly felt like inventory and I probably looked more pissed because Antonia told me I could go up to my room.

So the lesson I've learnt today is that all the Italians I know are not so smart, but they think they are. They will also have this smug face when talking about us orrrieeentals.

By the way, do I look like an Indon? Half the bloody world thinks I am but those Italians INSIST that i have Indon blood.